Periodontitis, also known as gum disease, is a condition that can impact the health of both the teeth and gums. Gum disease begins as gum inflammation or gingivitis. Gingivitis is marked by irritated, red, and bleeding gums. Gum inflammation can quickly become periodontitis, which leads to deep gum pockets, loose teeth, and eventually tooth loss.
Dr. Haim Fedida offers periodontal treatment to patients in Jackson Heights, NY. He provides restorative dental care to his patients so they can comfortably bite, chew, and speak.
Signs of Gum Disease
Periodontitis is marked by these symptoms:
- Loose teeth
- Bleeding gums
- Red, swollen, or puffy gums
- Tooth loss
- Bad breath
Understanding the signs and symptoms of gum disease can make it easier for our dentists to provide the correct treatment. If you have noticed any of these symptoms, please schedule an appointment in our office. We will examine your teeth and gums to find the right care.
Gum Disease Treatments
Dr. Fedida provides an array of gum disease treatments, including:
- Scaling and Root Planing: Scaling and root planing are deep cleaning treatments used in tandem to remove gum disease. Scaling removes plaque and bacteria around the gums and root planing helps smooth the tooth roots. After treatment, Dr. Fedida applies Arestin, an antibiotic, to the gums.
- Laser Dentistry: Dental lasers can be used to treat moderate to severe cases of gum disease. LANAP stimulates the natural regeneration of healthy gum tissue after your laser treatments. This service provides permanent results that may not require follow-up treatments for most patients.
- Osseous Surgery: This surgical treatment deeply cleans above and below the gum line. The goal is to prevent further damage and stop bacteria from spreading in the mouth.
- Soft Tissue Grafting: Soft tissue grafting is often done after infected gum tissue is removed from the mouth. This treatment takes healthy tissue that is used to repair the gums and cover any exposed tooth roots.
Call Our Dental Office Today
Do you have red, swollen, or bleeding gums? Contact Fedida Family Dentistry and Dental Spa by calling 929.552.6315 or schedule a consultation with Dr. Fedida on our website.